Anne (of DIY & Dragons) recently issued a challenge to build a New Crobuzon following the method Judd posted ten years ago:
So, to make your own N.C.:
1) Take your three favorite human-ish monsters out of the Monster Manual and they are minority citizens in the city. Detail how they get along, how being in the city has culturally changed them and what niches they fill in the city. How do the powers that rule the city keep them down?
2) Take three really bizarre fucking monsters and figure out how they exist in the nooks and crannies of the city and how the powers that rule the city keep these beasts from doing unacceptable amounts of damage?
The challenge has gotten a bunch of great responses.
- City of Stones and Spirits (from DIY & Dragons)
- New Twain (from Tales of the Grotesque and Dungeonesque)
- The Last City (from From the Sorcerer's Skull)
- The City of Emination (from The Benign Brown Beast)
- Thaw (from Archons March On)
- City by the Styx (from Games of the Rust Medusa)
- Pandeimos (from Throne of Salt)
- If you try it, let me know and I'll add yours to the list.
Three "human-ish" monsters: Tieflings, Golgari and Golems
Three "really bizarre fucking monsters": Oozes, the Spider and a pool of Shub Niggurath